By: Joel Polk
This past Sunday was very special for our church family. In both services, we gathered in groups to pray for how we believe God is leading us. We focused on five things that we are asking God for as a church:
1) To Be Sacrificially Diverse: Revelation 7:9-10
2) To Intentionally Multiply: Matthew 28:18-20
3) To Be Involved In Doing Justice: Micah 6:8
4) To Be Theologically Healthy: 1 Timothy 4:16
5) Spirit-Filled Revival: Ephesians 5:15-21
We want you to continue to pray with us over the coming weeks and months for these things. Please use these prayer points and the accompanying Scripture to focus your time with God.
1) Sacrificially Diverse
9 After this, I looked, and there was a vast multitude from every nation, tribe, people, and language, which no one could number, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes with palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice:
Salvation belongs to our God,
who is seated on the throne,
and to the Lamb!
1) Help us see racial prejudice in ourselves and repent.
2) Help us see racial injustice in our city and act.
3) Prepare us to sacrifice to make our church diverse and unified in Christ.
2) Intentionally Multiply
18 Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
1) Help me make disciples in my neighborhood and friend-group.
2) Help me make disciples in my workplace, campus, and classroom.
3) Help me make disciples in my church.
3) Doing Justice
Mankind, he has told each of you what is good
and what it is the Lord requires of you:
to act justly,
to love faithfulness,
and to walk humbly with your God.
1) Open our eyes to see injustice in our city and our hearts to care about it.
2) Show us what more we can do to help current justice efforts in our city: Bradley Academy, Journey Home, Portico, Greenhouse Ministries, etc.
3) Give us a clear direction and faith to serve the marginalized.
4) Theologically Healthy
Pay close attention to your life and your teaching; persevere in these things, for in doing this you will save both yourself and your hearers.
1 Timothy 4:16
1) Help us repent of our indifference toward your Scripture.
2) Make us unafraid to read the Scripture, ask questions, and engage our doubts.
3) Use this church, our community groups, our elders, and each other to help us believe right things about you, God.
5) Spirit-Filled Revival
15 Pay careful attention, then, to how you live—not as unwise people but as wise— 16 making the most of the time, because the days are evil. 17 So don’t be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 And don’t get drunk with wine, which leads to reckless living, but be filled by the Spirit: 19 speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making music with your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.
1) Will you show us how we are quenching your Spirit with our sin and move us to repent?
2) Will you make us sensitive to your Spirit?
3) Will you bring Spirit-filled revival in our church and our city?